Restoration workers at the Moscow Museum of the Great Patriotic War are restoring the legendary Soviet tank “Klim Voroshilov” otherwise known as “The Ghost.”
This is how the German troops referred to the tank because of being almost invincible and highly maneuverable. It is being assembled from various parts, some original.
A museum’ search group found fragments of what was left of a surviving tank. The tank sunk in 1942 in the Vorya River, the Kaluga Region. During the autumn of 2009 the research team managed to bring the remains to the surface. There were just a few rusty parts left: remains of the caterpillar track, road wheels and body panels. The museum decided to use the find to recreate a replica of the KV-1 tank.
The first “Klim Voroshilov” tank was assembled on September 1, 1939. The fighting vehicle was designed to break through defense lines. The iron giant, weighing 48 tons, terrified the enemy. The tank had thick armor and powerful howitzers. It was first proven in action when Soviet troops stormed the Finnish fortifications on the Karelian Isthmus.
In 1941 the KV-1 tank could destroy any German tank without being hit. No tank could compete with the KV-1 until the introduction of the German “Tiger” in 1943.