IAF to adopt BrahMos missile in 2016

Thursday, 19 March 2015 06:41

BrahMos missile to enter service in Indian Air Force in 2016, Sudhir Kumar Mishra, CEO and Managing Director for Russian-Indian joint venture BrahMos Aerospace,  told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.

"According to the schedule, the missile is expected to enter service in 2016. A further 10 tests will be conducted by the end of the year. In May, a test flight with the launching system for the missile will be conducted," Mishra said.

The first Su-30MKI fighter armed with the air-based version of the BrahMos-A supersonic cruise missile has been solemnly handed over to the Indian Air Force at the Aero India 2015 exhibition in Bangalore in February with the participation of the heads of the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited company and of the Russian-Indian company BrahMos Aerospace.

The air-launched version of the BhaMos missile is 500 kg lighter and half a meter shorter than its sea-launched version for successful integration with the fighter.

The missile is a product of the Russian-Indian cooperation in weapons development. It was designed by Russian-Indian joint venture BrahMos Aerospace, named after the rivers Brahmaputra and Moskva. The company was founded by India’s Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyeniye in 1998. The Russian company owns 49.5% of the shares, with the remaining 50.5% stake being owned by DRDO.

Popular articles

19 February 2015

PRESS RELEASE OF THE EMBASSY OF THE RUSSIAN...

New Delhi, February 19, 2015The reported call of the European Union’s envoy to India to ‘persuade’ Russia over events in Eastern regions of the Ukraine is a case of sheer duplicity and sly distortion of the core reasons which led to the intra-Ukrainian conflict.It must be...
02 April 2015

CONCEPT OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION’S...

Created on the initiative of Russian leadership in 2006, the interstate association of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) succeeded in becoming a significant factor in global politics and economy in a short time. BRICS is both a symbol of a growing trend...
Emergency phone number only for the citizens of Russia in emergency in India +91-81-3030-0551
Address:
Shantipath, Chanakyapuri,
New Delhi - 110021
Telephones:
(91-11) 2611-0640/41/42;
(91-11) 2687 38 02;
(91-11) 2687 37 99
E-mail:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.