PONOMARENKO Panteleymon Kondratyevich (27.07.1902 ‒ 18.01.1984) ‒ a Soviet statesman and party figure. He was a member of the CPSU since 1925. He was born in a peasant family on the Shelkovsky farm, now this place is located in Belorechensky district of Krasnodar territory. In 1932 he graduated from the Moscow Institute of Transport Engineers. In 1918 he served in the Red Army, from 1919 worked in oil fields and on the railway. In 1922 he joined the Komsomol movement.
In 1932-36 he served in the Soviet Army and then worked as an engineer. In 1938 he was an instructor and a deputy head of the department in the UCP (b) Central Committee. From 1938 to 1947 he was the 1st secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party (Bolsheviks) of Belarus; in September, 1939 he was a member of the Council of War of the Western Military District. During the Great Patriotic War (from 1941 to 1945) he was a member of the Councils of War of the Western, Central, Bryansk and the 1st Belarusian fronts; from 1942 to 1944 he was the chief of the Central staff of the guerrilla movement associated with the Headquarters of the Supreme Commander of the armed forces. In 1943 he was made a lieutenant general.
From 1944 to 1948 he chaired the Council of People's Commissars, then the Council of Ministers of the BSSR. From 1948 to 1953 he was the secretary of the UKP (b) Central Committee; at the same time from 1950 to 1953 he was the procurement minister of the USSR. From 1953 to 1954 he served as the minister of culture of the USSR. From 1954 to 1955 he was the 1st secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Kazakhstan. He served as the Plenipotentiary Ambassador of the USSR:
from 1955 to 1957 to the Peoples’ Republic of Poland,
from 1957 to 1959 to India and Nepal,
from 1959 to 1962 to the Netherlands.
From 1961 to 1962 he was the Representative of the USSR in the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna. At the XVIII, XIX and XX congresses he was elected as the member of the Central Committee, in 1952 and 1953 he was a member of the Presidium of the Central Committee, in 1953 and 1954 he was elected as an alternate member of the Presidium of the Central Committee of the CPSU. He was a deputy to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4thSupreme Soviet of the USSR. From 1962 he received personal pensioner.
He was awarded with three orders of Lenin, the order of the October Revolution, four other orders and a number of medals.